Issues of divorce can be particularly complex, especially when coupled with the presence of children that have been adopted.

One type of adoption that is legal in Georgia is known as stepparent adoption, which is when a stepparent legally adopts the child of their spouse. If both of the child’s parents are still alive, an adoption by a stepparent is still feasible, so long as the absent parent relinquishes his or her rights to make the new spouse a legal parent. A child cannot have a stepfather and biological father both with equal rights in Georgia; it must be one or the other. Furthermore, all legal guardians in writing must consent to any adoption by a child.


Newsletter Signup